2014-09-30

 

Hong Kong

I salute the people of Hong Kong for putting their lives on the line in the name of freedom. You are a beautiful and brave people. I have been trying to think of what I should be doing to show solidarity with the HK people. I heard (saw on the news) there was a protest outside "Hong Kong House" in Sydney (80 Druitt St). I went there today, but there was no protest. There were however lots of notes on the building, supporting the freedom-fighters. One very funny one was "Happy 65th birthday PRC - have you thought about retiring?". Retirement age in Australia is 65. And that would certainly be apt!

I wore my Chinese "democracy" headband (see photos on www.mutazilah.org) and some people (whites) from "Unions NSW" asked me what it said, and suggested posing with them behind the banner that they unfurled. They told me that the HK unions were going out on strike too (or something like that).

I picked up a notebook and pen to write something to place on the wall, but I couldn't think of anything to write. I was thinking of saying something like "if you want freedom, start with www.japan666.com". But I didn't write anything. There was also some yellow ribbon that could be cut and tied to the railings, but I didn't do that either. I have made enquiries about possibly going to HK to join in the protests, but that might be considered offensive, and the commies would possibly latch onto that and say that it "proves" that it is a foreign movement, not an indigenous movement.

I was also considering going into Hong Kong House and making a donation of $100, but I didn't go in. A couple of weeks ago I made a $100 donation to the Ukrainian military.

Oh, I also wore a new shirt I have with the NATO flag on it. My loyalty is to a coalition of the free world, not my country (Australia). I do expect that Australia will join NATO eventually though.

Anyway, not sure what I should do now. I'm open to suggestion.


P.S. It would be way cool if the HK protesters triggered a revolution in mainland China so that finally there can be some closure to the Tiananmen Square Massacre. I went to a protest march in Sydney back in 1989 when I was 21 years old.

P.P.S. Here is someone who has it exactly right (from BBC News):
Damon Chan, Hong Kong emails: Please, people from mainland China, stop calling us brothers and sisters. We are not siblings and even people in Hong Kong are not siblings. Get rid of this sort of sentimental, nationalistic thoughts, please. We are all individual. The idea that Hong Kong is nothing without China is simply wrong and it's part of the scaremongering campaign by the pro-China political parties. We are rational and we are determined. We won't stop until we get democracy.




<< Home
|



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?