2005-06-17

 

Forgiveness in Iraq

The June 12, 2005 entry here brings up a major point. Basically the Sunni are trying to get an amnesty for past crimes in return for ending the current terrorism. This is something that has long been necessary - deciding who is persona non-grata. Neither the US temporary administration nor the appointed Iraqi temporary administration could do anything about answering this important question. There's no right or wrong answer. But the democratically-elected government is in a position to decide on this tough question.

In my opinion, it is far more important to ensure that this NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN, so that this tough decision never needs to be made again. Rather than prosecute every person who did his best to survive under a terrible dictatorship. If I had been a Sunni under Saddam's Iraq, I'm pretty sure that I would have done whatever I was ordered to do, rather than have my fingers cut off and my wife raped. I wouldn't have been as enthusiastic about it as some of the Sunni were, but then again, I probably wouldn't have wanted to appear unenthusiastic in front of my peers and have them think that I'm secretly against Saddam. The one thing I want to be sure of, is that I'm never in that situation EVER. I also want to help ensure that no-one else is in that situation for any longer than can be avoided either.

Probably what I would do is make everyone guilty of crimes explain on video how much they were in fear of Saddam and that they were no better than slaves and that their victims had human rights, and that they want to do everything they can to ensure that this never happens agains. This video can then be shown to their children, so that hopefully the children will be brought up understanding the need to support human rights for all humans.

If the Sunni aren't willing to do this, and want to pass their actions off as "legitimate actions against people who deserved everything they got for speaking against our glorious leader", then fuck 'em. Don't give in to terrorist demands. Ever. The war will be won in due course regardless. Freedom and justice both have a price. Giving in to terrorist demands is giving up your soul.

But personally I don't believe in the death penalty, not even for Saddam. I believe that there is a POSSIBILITY, just like the possibility exists with our own moonbats, to figure out the right combination of words that will make Saddam say "Oh my God! No-one ever told me what empathy is. What have I done? I'm so sorry. Please just kill me, I don't deserve to live.". Saddam is a monkey. I think one day we will understand monkeys completely, and be able to eliminate all crime from our societies. Basically the exact reverse of getting 100% of Incas to agree that sacrificing virgins makes the sun rise.



<< Home
|



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?